Truth and Lies is an ice breaker party game in which a person shares several true statements with a lie, and challenges strangers to figure out where the truth lies. (Pun sort of intended...)
Beyond a bit of fun reflection on life, the joy of truth and lies for a writer is in the presentation of it all. It's fun to figure out how to trick the guesser, and it's up to the teller to choose whether to share extraordinarily simple tales or highly intricate outlandish novellas. The key is to keep the tone consistent and stick within a theme. (You might pick family or pet names, personal medical history, school stories, work tales, broken relationships - pick one and stay on topic to cause optimal confusion.)
Since this post is scheduled and I'm traveling in Massachusetts, a far cry from my current home of Redondo Beach, California, I decided to go with a travel theme.
writercize: Pick a topic and write several truths and a lie from your life experience. Leave your truths and lie as a comment. I'll guess yours and you can guess mine!
Click "read more" for writercizer sample response. (The truth of my lie will be revealed Friday.)writercizer sample response:
- I belly danced onstage during a dinner cruise down the Nile.
- I hiked in to camp on several feet of snow during a week-long ski trip at Whistler.
- I went for a morning jog to see the sunrise along the Great Wall of China.
- I ate a grilled guinea pig in the rain forest in Ecuador.
- I made an announcement over the PA system on a delayed train in Germany.
Which one is a lie?