3.09.2011

Review Local - writercize #3

If your neighborhood is anything like mine, the global slump can be recognized in the number of small, local shops and restaurants that have closed down in recent months and years.  No matter how much news coverage I hear about economic recovery, I can't help but notice the "For Lease" signs lining the sidewalks in cute boutique-y shopping destination previously bustling with commerce.  

My husband and I joke that every time we go on vacation, we'll return to see another of our favorite places has vanished.  Two weeks with the in-laws?  Favorite local pharmacy - gone.  Thanksgiving break?  Favorite coffee shop with kids' play area and free book exchange - lights out.  The joke is not funny.  We laugh to avoid the truth of what we feel - the heartache for those local families who lost a bit of their dream.

No doubt you've heard the phrases "Shop Local" or "Think Globally, Act Locally," reminders that your little corner of the world counts for something in the bigger picture of it all.

writing exercise:  Help out your favorite local spot with a positive online review on a review board such as Yelp or Yahoo! Local or foursquare.  While word of mouth is the best publicity, virtual word of mouth may be second best.  So, get to it: write local!

(Click "read more" to see the writercizer sample response.)

writercize response: 

I reviewed my favorite local dry cleaner on Yelp: Lady Alice Cleaners.

Full review:  Lady Alice Cleaners won me over about two years ago while my husband was commuting "long distance" to work from LA to Chicago weekly.  He was home for three days and needed work shirts cleaned quickly.  Lady Alice was the only dry cleaner I approached in S Redondo able to turn them around for next day service without any additional fee.

They finished on time and delivered a good quality cleaning.  The prices are reasonable; we generally take five business shirts in at a time and walk out with a little bit of change from a ten-dollar bill.  Average turn-around is 3-4 days.

The shop is no frills and simple but organized and clean, probably worth four stars.  They get bumped up to a five star rating in my book because they always remember me when I walk in, greet me with a quick smile, and type my number into the computer.  I don't have to say my name and they remember preferences for starch/creases, and the only word I ever have to speak is "ok" after they tell me the estimated date to finish.  Whether my husband or I drop off or pick-up, they know we're a couple and produce the phone number or shirts immediately.  That level of customer recognition earned my loyalty.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! I try to shop Mom & Pop stores when I can. Not only do I prefer giving them my moolah, but the service is almost always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It can be difficult at times if there's a huge price differential, but almost worth it to keep the local economy moving. It's like Karma. ;)

      Delete

I love reading your feedback and your writercize results! Please feel free to leave your website address at the end of your comment. I will delete spam, but welcome writers and bloggers to share their sites with the writercize community.